Saturday, December 10, 2011

Essence of strawberries

I wanted to make something special but very simple for a dinner tonight. Harriet Harcourt's blog Fridge Pie has an astonishing recipe for pink peppercorn meringues, lime curd and dried strawberries. I'll make the whole thing one day, but for tonight, all I wanted was the dried strawberries.
           The recipe is really simple, it just takes a little time. Preheat the oven to 100C (or a little lower fan forced - I put mine at 90C). Slice 250g strawberries into thin slices. I used large ones, and got two heart-shaped centre slices and two side bits out of each strawberry. Place a sheet of baking paper on an oven tray and lay out the strawberry slices on it. Sprinkle them with 3 teaspoons of caster sugar. 


Bake for an hour, or until dry. I found it worked best to turn each slice over carefully when the top side was dry, and leave them in for another 10-15 minutes to dry off the other side. 


When they're cool,. lift them off carefully and leave on a rack.






They leave little strawberry ghosts behind on the paper.
         We ate these entirely by themselves, after the cheese, but they'd also be very good alongside strawberry ice-cream, or on top of tarts... They look beautiful and give a burst of pure, intense strawberry flavour. There were three left, so naturally I ate them while I wrote this.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these look amazing! Definitely going to give them a try :)

AnneE said...

I really like your blog - will add it to my bloglist!

Harriet said...

Hi Anne
Yours look great - and I loved your description of the little "strawberry ghosts" on the paper - everyone at my class thought I was mad when I was going on about how pretty the paper was!
Cheers, Harriet

Anonymous said...

How do you store these and how long will they last?

AnneE said...

You can't store them, because they're not really "dried" - except maybe for a little while in the fridge, but I think they'd lose their flavour if you did that. You just have to eat them all up!