Monday, February 6, 2012

Nothing doing

I'm sorry, this is another holding post. My lurgy turned out to be campylobacter, and I think I know exactly how and where I caught it in Guangzhou. I'm rapidly improving, but I'm still living on the blandest and most boring diet imaginable, so nothing interesting is going on in the kitchen - unless you count the revival of half-forgotten convalescent feeding skills involving broth, puree and jelly. Here's my dinner last night - a rather beautiful bowl of pureed soup, made from carrot and potato cooked in chicken stock.


And here, just to whet your interest (by the way, everything I show you here was perfectly safe and definitely not the source of my illness) is a bowl of delicious ginger junket.


We ate this at the teaboat in the Baomo Gardens outside Guangzhou.

It cost 6 yuan (about $1.25), and buying it entitled us to watch a half-hour concert of classical Chinese music, performed against the most beautiful backdrop I've ever seen.
.
I'll try to find out how to make it. But for now, I'll have to make do with probiotic yoghurt instead.

2 comments:

Dale said...

There used to be a recipe for ginger junket on the Renco (liquid) packet. Haven't made ginger junket since the 1980s - time to start giving it a go again?

Get well soon....

Anonymous said...

Beth says: Ginger jelly is also very fine - I used to make it from an infusion of root ginger, sparked up with a splash of Green Ginger Wine, and served in chunks (once set with gelatine of course) with tinned loquats. Very smart after a (NZ ersatz) Chinese dinner!